2020 Enterprise Technologies, Bloggers, Blogging, Blogs, Book, Book review, Facebook, LinkedIn, Management Practices, New Business World, Public Image, Public Relations, Publicity, Re-Imagine!, Rotarians, Rotary, Rotary Club, Social Media, Social Networking, Twitter, Value-added, Website
Book: The Zen of Social Media Marketing
- Author: Shama Hyder Kabani
- Publisher: Benbella Books
- Published: April 2010
- Audience: Primary: Message professionals involved in organizational internal and external communication. Also, individuals seeking to create a personal brand. Secondary: Seekers of enlightenment regarding Social Media and Professors and Teachers in many fields (e.g.; business, arts, education, communication, etc.)
- Rating: (Out of 5*)
- Overall ***** (5-Must Read)
- Content ***** (5)
- Relevancy ***** (5)
- Style **** (4-down to business tone)
- Readability *** (3-read on a Kindle computer download)
- Value***** (5)
- Thesis: A presentation of key aspects of Social Media and how it functions with organizational marketing.
Social Interactive Media is a very complex and variable subject. It is unreasonable for anyone to expect one book can adequately cover this topic because the Social Media tools and their use are changing daily. It is akin to asking someone to explain Art in one book….and the request is made after the Renaissance. There is much to discuss and there is still more to come. The reality is that we are still in early childhood of Social Media, but even today it can make or break governments and businesses.
Despite the impossible task the author, Shama Hyder Kabani has not only written a great book on the subject of Social Media, she is offering a solution to the problem of keeping her book relevant by updating and revising the book on the Internet. It is truly a book born in the Social Media era of handling difficult problems with New World solutions.
- Introduction – Nice comparison between Social Media and the spoon lesson in the movie ‘The Matrix”.
- Chapter 1 – a) Learn how to A-C-T using a great B-O-D in Social Media. b) Strangers to Consumers to Clients.
- Chapter 2 – a) What is Website 911 EMS? b) What a blog does for your website. c) Relevancy versus Content…or not
- Chapter 3 – Use and abuse of Social Media.
- Chapter 4 – Facebook, the coffee shop of the Internet. (I love that analogy!)
- Chapter 5 – a) Twitter, it’s about the dialogue, not about you. b) What #ff means.
- Chapter 6 – LinkedIn, the conference room of the Internet.
- Chapter 7 – Video on Internet: a) About, b) How to, c) Why.
- Chapter 8 – Social Media meets Corporate Policy.
- Chapter 9 – Icing on the Social Media cake.
I discovered new information on Social Media through Shama’s book, but mostly this was a great read because she validated what I have learned, read, and witnessed in my exploration of Social Media. For me, it allows me to say to someone, if you don’t believe me, read the book. The Social Media Doubting Thomas’ need a hard copy book for information to be legitimate and that is what Shama Hyder Kabani provides to the world. She also confirmed for me that age does not equal wisdom in the world of Social Media. My experience has been that the older the Social Media ‘expert’ the more cynical and off-target the information. Shama knows her stuff and people of all ages should sit up and listen….or just leave.
- Rotary Membership/Public Image Challenge
- 2Q 2010 Social Media Tools: Facebook/Twitter sail on, LinkedIn/MySpace don’t
- Epic Fail: PR ‘Experts’ don’t get Twitter
- King of Anything: Social Media vs Traditional Media
- Rotary PR: Disrespecting the Club President is a PR/Membership issue
- WiFi on Southwest Airlines: Is it ‘Shovel Ready’?
- Starbucks makes a smart move: Free WiFi
- Two Barbecues and a Wedding
- Foul Play: FIFA shows what less regulation offers to business
- Rotary New Year: Retread or Renaissance?
- The Shock of the McChrystal Story: The story is over before the article is published
- Tony Hayward: The very model of a modern Major General
- Rotary@105: A young professionals networking club?
- One Rotary Center: A home for 1.2 million members
- War Declared on Social Media: Desperate Acts of Traditional Media
- Pay It Middle: The Balance between Too Much and Too Little Compensation
- Mega Executive Pay Leads to Poor Performance
- Relationships and Thin-Slicing: Why the other person knows what you’re really thinking
- Browser Wars: Internet Explorer losing, Google Chrome gaining ground
- Rotary@105: What BP Could Learn from the 1914 Rotary Code of Ethics
- Twitter is the Thunderstorm of World Thought
- Signs of the Times
- Rotary Magazine Dilemma Reveals the Impact of Social Media
- How Social Interactive Media Could Transform Higher Education
- How to Become a Zen Master of Social Media
- Car Dealership Re-Imagines Customer Service
- Death of All Salesmen!
- Aristotle’s General Rules on Social Media
- Social Media: What is it and Why Should You Care?
- Social Media 2020: Keep it Personal
- Social Media 2020: Who Shouldn’t Be Teaching Social Media
- Social Media 2020: Public Relations 2001 vs Social Media Relations 2010
- Social Media 2020: Who Moved My Public Relations?
- Publishing Industry to End 2012
- Who uses Facebook, Twitter, MySpace & LinkedIn?
- Fear of Public Relations
- Dissatisfiers: Why John Quit
- Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn…Oh My!
- Does Anybody Really Understand PR?