Mike Pence, who is Donald Trump’s Number 1, but acts like he’s a Number 2, has recreated the National Space Council in his own image. The purpose of the group of is to channel taxpayers money out of government space program projects and give to the wealthy corporations. He seems blissfully unaware that the 29 member Council has the scientific qualifications, and diversity of race and political ideology of Republican fundraiser in Mississippi.
Mike Pence: The No Science Guy
Pence, who has less charisma and intelligence than former VP Dan Quayle, has put together a Council of primarily investor-owned corporations. No current NASA staff is included, and the former NASA employees on the Council have been retired from the agency an average of over 19 years.
In order to make sure the Council does not get caught up in any science issues, Pence has added five people who were selected because of their politically conservative resume, but devoid of any scientific qualifications.
However, there is one science teacher on the Council. No one seems to know who she is or what her qualifications are, but she is a “Board Certified Science Teacher.”
The National Space Kangaroo Council
The qualifications and interests of the National Space Council members are as follows:
Current NASA Staff (0)
Current FAA Staff (0)
Former NASA Staff (7)
Buzz Aldrin, (Retired from NASA 46 years ago)
Walked on the Moon in 1969, retired from NASA 1971, retired from Air Force 1972, a proponent of space exploration, punched faked-Moon-landing-conspiracist Bart Sibrel in the face (Sibrel had it coming.)
Eileen Collins, (Retired from NASA 12 years ago in May)
Flew Space Shuttle four times, speaker at 2016 Republican National Convention
Homer Hickam, (Retired from NASA 20 years ago)
Former NASA engineer and author
Pam Melroy, (Retired from NASA 9 years ago)
Space Shuttle astronaut, former Lockheed Martin staff, former FAA staff, former DARPA staff.
Harrison ‘Jack’ Schmitt, (Retired from NASA 42 years ago)
Apollo 17 Astronaut and former conservative U.S. Senator. Believes climate change is natural, not human-caused
David Wolf, (Retired from NASA 5 years ago)
Space Shuttle astronaut and physician
Pete Worden, (Retired from NASA 2 years ago)
Former Air Force General and NASA Ames Center Director
Minor Space Background (1)
Private Corporations Seeking Taxpayer Money (15)
- Tory Bruno, Formerly with Lockheed Martin. President and CEO of United Launch Alliance
- Wes Bush, CEO of Northrop Grumman
- Mary Lynne Dittmar, Former Boeing employee and NASA advisor, currently President, and CEO of the private space industry advocacy group Coalition for Deep Space Exploration
- Former Admiral Jim Ellis, Board of Directors Lockheed Martin, Retired 4-star Admiral, former head of STRATCOM, and member of the Space Foundation Board of Directors
- Tim Ellis, CEO of Relativity Space, a corporation seeking to build rockets with 3D printers and using no labor or astronauts
- Marillyn Hewson, CEO of Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Les Lyles, Only African American on Council, Director for multiple corporations, retired Air Force in 2003 after a long history of working in various military defense missile capacities.
- Dennis Muilenburg, CEO of the Boeing Company
- Fatih Ozmen, CEO of the Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) with headquarters in Nevada which doesn’t have income or corporate taxes; however, the operations are in Colorado.
- Gwynne Shotwell, President and COO of SpaceX (Space Exploration Technologies Corporation)
- Bob Smith, CEO of Blue Origin
- Eric Stallmer, President of the Commercial Spaceflight Federation
- David Thompson, Founder and CEO of Orbital ATK
- Mandy Vaughn, President of VOX Launch Company
- Stu Witt, Founder of Mojave Air and Spaceport, former Navy pilot, former Chairman of the Commercial Spaceflight Federation
Conservatives Appointed For Their Political Ideology (No space industry qualifications) (5 + 2 Former NASA)
- Dean Cheng, Political conservative working for the Heritage Foundation, a politically conservative organization
- Eileen Collins, (See former NASA staff)
- Steve Crisafulli, Former conservative politician, Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives
- Newt Gingrich, conservative politician and former Speaker of the House
- Governor Kay Ivey, Conservative Governor of Alabama
- Fred Klipsch, Conservative promoting the defunding of public schools, Founder and Chairman of Hoosiers for Quality Education
- Harrison ‘Jack’ Schmitt, (See former NASA staff)
- Pamela Vaughan, Science Teacher
Maybe we didn’t win the space race after all.